Functions and objectives
In Germany, the conference interpreting profession is not protected by formal requirements. In other words, no formal qualifications are necessary to work as a ‘conference interpreter’ or ‘interpreter ’.
Against this backdrop, the VKD is a source of guidance for potential clients and represents the interests of qualified, professional conference interpreters. All applicants undergo a thorough admission process and, once accepted, pledge to observe our Professional Code of Ethics.
Functions and objectives of the VKD
- Quality assurance thanks to stringent admission requirements
- Information and advice for potential clients
- Continued professional development of its members through training
- Discussion forums for issues relating to the profession
- Assistance for recently qualified conference interpreters
- Liaison with universities and colleges offering conference interpreting programmes